I think the most common question that I
get is, "will drinking too much hurt my results", and I usually
want to yell at the person who asks this question, because they already
know the answer. OF COURSE! Honestly, anything in excess, is not good.
If you drink moderately, no more than 2-3
drinks per week, you should be OK, but if you are a heavy drinker, you
will never improve your physique. Understand that alcohol is poisonous
to the body -- its a toxin.
Prolonged usage at high doses will:
- reduce your strength - you won't be
able to lift enough weight to stimulate muscle growth
- reduce your endurance
- decrease your recovery capabilities -
it will take you longer to recuperate and you will be much more sore
- decrease your aerobic capacity
- reduce your ability to metabolize fat
- you will become a fat "storer" instead of a fat "burner"
- interfere with muscle growth
- acts as a diuretic, which can rebound
and lead to elevated water retention
Remember, alcohol is a totally nutritionless
carbohydrate. (Even though it's a carb, it has 7 calories per gram instead
of the normal 4). Like most carbs, it causes the release of insulin, which
will cause the storage of your alcohol calories as fat. The constant insulin
release will also make it very difficult to lose fat since your body has
ample glycogen from the alcohol.